Players! Mission Makers! Server Hosts! TERRAIN MAKERS! Prepare yourselves.Goals:
The Community Upgrade Project Team is proud to announce a group effort to continue and improve upon the amazing resource created by kju: All in Arma Terrain Pack.
The Community Upgrade Project Terrain Pack has clear and achievable goals that you will be able to watch evolve with time.
1. Clone, Hone, and Release our version of AIA_terrainpack - CUP_Terrains will modularize the package into a "core" package and individually packed terrains, as was done with All in Arma Datapack.
This will drastically reduce the total package size, and will allow:
- server hosts to pick and choose the EXACT maps they wish to host or not, and save them some precious hard drive space
- ease the strain on users with slower connection speeds, or limited HD space
- community terrain artists to ONLY require the core package
2. Iterate, Integrate, and Improve - CUP_Terrains first order of business after an initial release will be to continue the initial addition of SMD and JBAD buildings that kju started in AiA_TP. This will add literally dozens more enterable, and improved buildings to ALL the BI and Community Terrains with NO need for any adjustment to the individual terrain releases or community maps. This project will proceed similarly to M1lkm8n and I's work on SMD_Sahrani_A2, and my work on SMD_Sahrani_A3. M1lkm8n will continue to share his work for Jalalabad as well! For those unfamiliar this means:
- Regular addition of newly enterable, or otherwise improved/fixed versions of BI's buildings
- Correction to any/all reported or discovered map object performance, or behavior issues
- Addition of all A3 config and model features, requirements, and functionalities (and then some)
3. Additional/Long Term Goals:
- Add Arma 3 Dust and sound effects to all surfaces for all A1/A2 terrains
- Correct the "Satmap Tiling bug" on all the A1 terrains
- Add Ocean Floor Topography, Coral/Rock/wreck objects, terrain texture, and clutter to all A1 and A2 terrains
- Improve/add to the terrains (new towns? better/thicker forests? Summer/Fall/Winter versions?)
The project will be released in both a modular, and full package for those that DO want all the maps/data in one pack. These packages will be fully interchangable and compatible. So a user with the Full package can join and play on a server that is only hosting the core data and 1 terrain.
As the project progresses, you will see improvements and fixes to many problems that persisted in Arma 2, others that were introduced with AiA's method of forcing compatibility in the Arma 3 engine, and most importantly, you will see so much of the amazing work done by BI for Arma 3 REALLY shine in ALL of their previous Arma Terrains.
Upon initial release, you will not notice much/any difference between CUP_Terrains and AiA_terrainpack on any of the terrains EXCEPT Sahrani. The Sahrani that will be packed for CUP_Sahrani will have MANY but not all of the changes/improvements made for SMD_Sahrani_A3. This should give a fairly good idea of some of the improvements planned, but by no means displays the full extent of the changes and improvements planned.
We welcome anyone who wants to assist, and will be releasing tutorials to document all of the processes involved for all to benefit from. Any suggestions or requests are also welcome, we want to ensure that any/all features and benefits are included during the upgrade process as possible, and that no misplaced object is left on any terrain.
For any in depth questions, kindly register on our forums, and start a topic there - http://forums.cup-arma3.org/